Sensei, LCSW is a psychotherapist in private practice in New York City on the Upper East Side. Anna is founder and teacher of Ordinary Mind Sangha in New York where she teaches Zen meditation and holds retreats several times a year. She began practicing Zen in 1968, and received dharma transmission in1997 from her Zen teacher, Charlotte Joko Beck.
Anna is a certified Focusing-Oriented psychotherapist and an EMDR practitioner. She has taught workshops in integrating Zen practice and Focusing into psychotherapy at the Karen Horney Institute. Anna completed a two-year training in Self Psychology. For the past 5 years she has been teaching a course in Focusing at NIP (the National Institute for the Psychotherapies). Anna was the owner of a successful business for over 25 years and credits her Zen practice with providing her guiding philosophy.
Anna has written articles on both Zen and Focusing, and is currently working on a collection of New York Zen stories.
Her expertise and interest is in the following areas:
- Helping clients establish an 'inner' relationship with something that needs attention and giving it the time to be known
- Facilitating a conscious shift from an attitude of 'working on' something to 'being with' something in a non-judging, welcoming way
- Helping the client befriend their harsh self-judging mind by 'keeping it company' with compassion, interest and curiosity
- Helping clients gain access to their inner resources in the face of strong emotions, through breath awareness, guided imagery and meditation
- Using EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) to help clients with childhood and adult trauma
- Helping clients awaken their creativity and spirituality